Designed to Prepare Registered Nurses to Return to Active Clinical Practice
Format: Theory portion is an Online, self-paced format with precepted clinical practicum in an acute care facility in your home community
Cost: Theory + Clinical: $1,500 plus textbook; Theory Only: $1,000 plus textbooks
- Please complete the Pre-Enrollment Survey. The pre-enrollment survey gives our faculty helpful information that will facilitate our conversation with you about the RN Refresher Program at Michigan State University College of Nursing. The survey gives us helpful information to determine if our program will be a good fit for your educational and clinical needs.
- A 15-minute phone appointment will be scheduled for you, by an office staff member.
- Phone appointment schedule: Monday - 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.; Wednesday and Friday, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Please note: For out of state inquiries, potential students should allow one week for a faculty phone appointment. This will allow time for faculty to review state specific authorization issues that are dictated by boards of education and nursing in each state.
- We look forward to our conversation with you about the RN Refresher Program at Michigan State University College of Nursing.
- In the meantime, please review the review the FAQs for answers to commonly asked questions and the DEMO Module (see the instructions on the bottom right on this page).
This course will provide registered nurses who wish to return to active clinical practice with core competencies to prepare them to resume clinical practice in a safe, competent and confident manner. RNs will bring the depth of caring and nursing insight from their previous experiences to the health care environment enhanced by an update on the latest technology, current management of medical/surgical conditions, and evidenced based improvements in nursing care.
- 15 theory modules - online and self paced
- 120 hour precepted clinical practicum in an acute care facility in your home community
15 on-line course modules that will prepare the registered nurse to:
- Identify the professional roles, responsibilities and clinical judgment required in current registered nurse practice
- Describe the characteristics of the current healthcare delivery system that impact safety, quality, and outcomes for patients
- Identify the biopsychosocial and cultural factors that influence patient's health and healthcare practices
A 120 - hour precepted clinical practicum completed in the nurse's home community that will prepare the registered nurse to:
- Demonstrate nursing interventions that incorporate pharmacological principles and safe medication practices
- Apply the nursing process in planning and providing care for patients with selected medical/surgical conditions
Participants will have one year to complete the online portion of the course from the date they begin the first module. Clinical placements for the practicum component of the RN Refresher course will be determined in collaboration between MSU College of Nursing and the RN Refresher participant with the agreement of an accredited healthcare organization. RNs who have disciplinary action on their license are welcome to take the theory portion of the RN Refresher Course but will not be allowed to do the clinical portion.
For more information please call (517) 355-3393 or email.
Refund policy: 50% of the tuition will be refunded up to the completion of Module 2. There will be no refunds after participants begin Module 3.
We accept checks, credit cards, and purchase orders. All payments must be received upon registration, prior to beginning the course.
Theory + Clinical $1500.00, plus cost of textbooks.
Theory Only $1000.00, plus cost of textbooks.