Students applying to the PhD program must meet University requirements as described under Graduate Education in the academic programs catalog, as well as the following:
- Submission of a University application for admission.
- Grade-point average of at least 3.0 for all previous academic work.
- Graduate Record Examination verbal, quantitative, and analytical sections completed within the last five years.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing. Admission to the program without a master’s degree in nursing will require additional coursework as specified by the College of Nursing.
- Submission of a college application, three references from academic or employment sources, curriculum vita, and research statement.
- Personal interview with faculty.
- Completion of a graduate level statistics course with a grade of 3.0 or better within the last five years.
- International applicants whose academic language is not English must complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as a condition for regular admission to Michigan State University.
- International students must provide proof of U.S. bachelor’s or master’s degree equivalency. This can be completed through WES or CGFNS.
Admission Cycles and Review:
The deadline for admission is May 1 of each year for the PhD program with admission on a rolling basis. Enrollment in the PhD program begins each fall semester. Individuals planning to apply for fellowships should apply by December 1.
Early application allows for increased fellowship opportunities.
Curriculum vitae, statement of research interests and goals can be submitted first. Transcripts, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores are due before the applicant can progress to the interview stage. Those with complete materials and meeting minimum requirements will be invited for an interview with faculty.
- These forms are to be used reference providers only. Applicants do not need to access this form.
- This form requires the most updated version of Adobe Reader. Download a free version.
- References: Please fill out this form and save the document in your own files.
- Upload the reference using the link sent to you by the College of Nursing.
- We recommend saving a copy of the reference for your own records.
- Reference Form PDF